In 2014 the centenary of the outbreak of World War One, Cumnock History Group began researching the names on the Cumnock War Memorial plus other men and women with Cumnock connections mentioned on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or in the Cumnock Chronicle of the time. The research is not limited to those who died but also to men and women who served, using family history information.

The group would like to appeal to individuals with knowledge of family members for photographs of the soldier, either in uniform or not, and photos of medals or other memorabilia eg letters sent home from the Front. If you would be prepared to share these on this site, please email the web manager cumnockhistory [at] The group is willing to share any copies of documents found with the soldier's descendants.

Saturday, 10 February 2018

Daniel Bradford

Daniel Bradford was the son of Hugh Bradford and Matilda Marrs born on 17th January 1878 and the older brother of George Bradford.

In the 1901 census he was a tailor but by the time he enlisted on 29th August 1914 he was a pit headman and at 36 years and 8 months old he was older than most. He had previously been a regular soldier.

His service record survives. He was recruited by Sgt McGill. He had been with the 2nd battalion the Royal Scots Fusiliers. He was single.  Regimental number 7355 1st RSF and 657045 in the Labour Corps.

He was sent to France almost immediately in September 1914 but by January 1915 he was court-martialled for not obeying an order and sentenced to 3 years' penal servitude. He didn't serve much of this as he was posted again in February 1916. His recent good conduct was noted. 

He was transferred to the Labour Corps and on demob was of very good character.

His address was 4 Barrhill Rd (parents' address) also down as Hillside Cottage. He was 40 on discharge.

After the war he moved to Glasgow and married Janet Napier in 1920. He lived in 32 Hopehill Road in 1935 when he applied to join the Glasgow branch of The Old Contemptibles. He died in Ruchill Hospital in 1949.